PES 2018 Demo Impressions

StanRoofner
Youth Prospect
Youth Prospect

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:03 pm

1. I am playing on Xbox One S... but the response feels really slow to my controller movements. Maybe that will change with the PS4 demo when I download it tomorrow
2. I use Pass assist 1. I still consistently feel like it scripts my passes so that it goes to someone who is covered. I am pointing in distinctly different directions to where the pass ends up going, and about 100% of the time it goes to someone who is covered. This happens more at the end of the game when I have the lead and it just feels like scripting to try and get the other team back into the game.
3. It is still terrifying to have the computer taking a corner as I consistently hit the clear button for a clearing header and my guy just stands and watches as the CPU majestically flies in for a perfect header that scores basically every time. I feel like my headers aren't quite as OP as last year in that I miss the net more often and the CPU does go up for a clear. I will need to play more (only about 10 matches so far), but, for instance, if I have given up 10 goals, 8 of them have been headers primarily from corner kicks.
4. Is there any button similar to FIFA where I manually try and protect the ball? Every time I pass the ball if anyone is close to me they automatically can tackle through me. I feel like a paper mache cutout trying to protect the ball when i am standing still. When I am dribbling it is about the same as last year where it works well until the end of the game when I have the lead and they just power through everything to take the ball off me. I would really like to feel like I have some control over the situation because situations especially at the end of the game feel more like they are scripted than based off of the strength mechanics that govern the rest of the game.
5. Also, it just feels like my CPU teammates have had a full frontal lobotomy at times. They actually run away from the ball when it is free in the box in my end or just stand still. It just feels like they are playing a different game have of the time.
6. All goalie deflections on my shots go directly to their team for easy clearing (most of the time my teammates are just standing there or have already turned around to run back to my end having given up) so it isn't too hard to clear anyways, but 3/4 of my goalie deflections go directly to their team for an easy goal. This especially feels scripted in the last 3rd of the game when I have the lead.
7. Playing at higher difficulties seems to have the effect of making the other team better (woohoo), but also my team is worse. I love Borussia, so I have mainly played with them. In one game Aubameyang had 11 shots, and only 1 hit the net, and all of them were within the penalty box. They seem to keep the game artificially close by nerfing my players.

Anyone having the same experience? Is this just all in my head :0)

Thanks guys!

StanRoofner
Youth Prospect
Youth Prospect

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I know I spent the last post nit picking about my experience thus far, so I did want to make clear that I am enjoying the game a lot. I do like it better than last year and can't wait to get the full version and do a master league with the option file from this site.

Thanks!

Stan

StanRoofner
Youth Prospect
Youth Prospect

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Playing on the PS4 now.

1. I must say that it controls much better on PS4. Very responsive. Also looks better but not sure why. Maybe its the TV.

2. Just played against Liverpool with Borussia. Was up 3 - 0 with 10 minutes to play. They turned up their pressing by one notch. Scored three goals in the last 10 minutes. In fact they scored every time they touched the ball. Am I the only one that experiences this? They just seem to become god-like when they want to and will score if they want to no matter what I do. Every pass to an open player has one of their players plow through them and take the ball. Every time I tackle someone there is someone else there to get the ball. Every 'random' bounce goes directly to one of their players. On the last goal I had nine people in the box and they still pinged it around between three players and found the space to get an open shot. Literally up to this point the game played perfectly and not just because I was winning. The shots were even, and my goalie had to bail me out with some great saves and vice versa. I enjoy losing when I feel like it was a fair fight. But I dread having the lead in the last 20 minutes in this game. The only thing that I can think to do is to dribble around in my end for all of those minutes just passing it around because the moment I move forward they swarm my guy with 3 or 4 people take the ball off me and make one or two passes and they magically are in scoring position. Also, all of my players physical ability to shield their players from the ball magically goes away and again it feels like I am made of paper mache. I want the game to be challenging. I want to be able to be beaten, but it just feels like that the only way the game to this point can achieve this is to put players in their god-mode in the last portion of the game and just score everytime they have the ball.

3. I love this game!!!! A few small tweeks and it would be perfect from my standpoint.

Good luck guys!

• Information